The first MPhA meeting was held on May 28, 1871. At the time, our organization was called the Mississippi State Pharmaceutical Association.
Mississippi was the 6th state to organize a state pharmaceutical association.
Matthew W. Ash, the first president, was vice president of the American Pharmaceutical Association.
The first law requiring a license to practice pharmacy was enacted in 1892, and the first Pharmacy Board of Examiners was appointed.
In 1908, the University of Mississippi School of Pharmacy was opened.
MPhA was incorporated in 1912, and in 1919 dues were raised to $3.00. In 1925, pharmacists earned approximately 35 cents per hour. Membership reached 750 by 1957.
In 1996 the Mississippi Pharmacists Association (MPhA) was asked by the Mississippi Department of Public Health to have pharmacists help with severe disparities in adult influenza and pneumococcal rates. MPhA contacted APhA for assistance, leading to the development of a national training program for pharmacists based on core competencies learned by public health nurses and military medics.
Today, the membership of MPhA is over 1150.